Thursday, January 27, 2011

Midlife Crises... What Midlife Crises? Tribal Knowledge & Passing Traditions, Bruised Egos, and More!

I gotta admit - today's title for the blog actually has me pumped! 2011 is not even a month old, and already we've had a bunch of things come down the pike and this past week was no exception. Everything from TV to emails - stuff seemed to come out of the woodwork about almost everything!

I received a very interesting email from a "new" listener of 360 Degrees of Alternative. They wrote saying that they found the station by accident, checked it out, and really liked what they heard - cool! They checked out our Facebook page & became a fan - really cool! From there, they clicked the link & visited our website. Now here is where I'm unsure if we took a detour or not. As they were reading my bio on the website, it "suddenly dawned on them how old I was"... ouch! The email went on to ask if I was experiencing some sort of a mid-life crises, because this listener did not know anybody in their late 40's who listened to ALL this type of music.

This isn't the first time I've been asked - no wait, told - I'm too old for this genre as well as this racket called rock 'n roll radio. Well, sorry to disappoint, but no crises here... just keeping the faith. The good news was, in the conclusion of the email, this listener said they would keep 360 Degrees as one of their favorites; "I like the station so much that I can overlook the fact of your age." Good - 'cause I may have to send my 55 year old friend who loves this stuff after you...

You read (or hear) the headlines - corporate buyouts, budget cutbacks, downsizing, and layoffs. The bummer about these things is that they take a toll on tribal knowledge. It seems this happens more so during tough times. Radio is not immune from this. In the commercial field, it only takes advertising revenues to fall or a decline in the ratings book for upper management to start screaming for changes. Unfortunately, it's usually the music along with the common worker that gets marked with a bulls eye.

There's an old saying - rock n' roll may not change the world, but it can change your life. I feel that this genre is one of the few that have the power to do that. The sad part is, music is a tradition - it should be passed on to generations. Artists do this on a regular basis. It's called influences. We should be doing the same. I've done it with my kids and I have friends who have done the same. I'm attempting to do the same with a world wide audience with 360 Degrees. That's why I offer four decades of music. You cannot appreciate the present unless you respect the past. This is one thing I'd like to leave the next generation, because sometimes it seems people just don't care...

Need further proof? Check out the video of the performance of 73 year old Wanda Jackson, who has been dubbed the Queen of Rockabilly, with Jack White on Letterman a few nights ago. Not only is rockabilly an influence on punk and alternative, but we also have this genre of music spanning the generations as well as being introduced to new ones. They smoke through Johnny Kidd and the Pirates' 1960s hit "Shakin' All Over." We feature the version done by The Syndicate of Sound. The performance was so hot, it nearly left Letterman speechless: "Oh my god! Holy crap! Whoa!" he said, before insisting they continue playing to close out the show. Check it out here!

I may jack a few people out of shape with this next one, but I have absolutely no sympathy for this guy. I'm talking about the creator of the TV show "Glee" Ryan Murphy. It seems that since this show is so hot, that it thinks it's exempt from some of the follies of Hollywood. Rumors have been circulating lately about the enormous egos this show has produced in such a short time and I feel some are starting to actually show themselves through the cracks in it's supposedly perfect porcelain face.

Kings of Leon have had offers out the ying-yang to appear on numerous successful TV shows. However, the band has turned every offer down. No big deal, right? Well, I guess Glee creator Ryan Murphy has a real problem with rejection. According to The Hollywood Reporter, he was quoted as saying, "Fuck you Kings of Leon. They're a bunch of self-centered assholes." According to Murphy, he was very upset and feels KOL are missing the whole point of his show. He says it's about kids, heart, and music.

The band has responded to Murhy's harsh critisim. The main reason why KOL turned down the invitiation is because the band has never even seen the program. Drummer Caleb Foolowill also added the following Twitter post; "Dear Ryan Murphy - let it go. See a therapist, get a manicure, buy a new bra. Zip your lip and focus on something else besides teaching kids how to say fuck."

Like I said... 2011 is off and running! Check that - stampeding...

Until next time, keep listening.
Peace out,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment