Friday, December 3, 2010

Play It, And They Will Come

OK Dave, what's up with the title? Actually, this has been on my mind for a little while... I was just unsure in how to transfer it from brain to paper, or in this case, computer. The thought process actually started a little more than a week ago when the usual array of commercial radio stations (as well as satellite and Internet stations) started playing Christmas music 24/7.

The first thing that popped into my head was, "Great... here we go again." It's not that I don't like Christmas music. My main beef is there are a lot of songs... good songs, great songs in fact, that are NOT played on commercial radio (in general - other mediums are also guilty). I've always liked music... my entire life. In fact, my Mom has told me that I used to crawl to the beat of a tune! So, it stands to reason that Christmas music, along with other genres, would become a natural part of my life... and it has. However, how many versions of "O Holy Night" can one person stand before it loses it's effect? Especially when you have a gamut of modern artists trying the sing & "tag" the living shit out of it? Don't believe me? Play that particular song that's been recorded by Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Kelly Clarkson, Celine Dion & a few others I can't think of right now, and play them all back to back. It starts to sound like some insane and/or torturous competition... and you're the one who loses.

Taking this same thinking and applying it to what I'm trying to accomplish here at 360 Degrees, is one of the main focal points of why I started this whole crazy thing in the first place; to take listeners out of the boring everyday mainstream and help them discover that there is (no pun intended) a viable alternative.

Yes, I realize that the station is nowhere near perfect... in all honesty, I doubt it ever will be, because I believe there is no such thing. Yes, I've added a great many songs over the past 9 months. Guess what? I've also removed some tracks as well. Believe it or not, I actually listen to the station on a daily basis. Yup... daily. It gives me a chance to see how the tracks blend together, the quality of the music, as well as a number of other aspects.

Judging from the overall positive response, I'd say the station is doing well. And that there my friends is the key. It has taken a while, but we are getting noticed. I've said from the beginning, I'm certainly not in this for the money. Sure, we've made a couple of bucks along the way, but there's no way I can quit my day job yet. The bottom line here is, when you understand your self-worth is not your net-worth, then you get a taste of real freedom. The self-worth of 360 Degrees of Alternative as a whole is high - thus it allows us to have & explore the freedom I want while gaining a following and enjoying the musical journey along the way. And you're the one who wins...

I know one of the biggest debates that will probably never go away, is "what is true alternative"? I receive an email about this, in one form or another, at least once a week. First off, there is no such animal as "true" alternative. This genre of music is an aspect of rock 'n roll - which was a bastard child from the very start.

Since it is a vein of rock, that means it spans the decades. That, in turn, gives us the freedom to offer decades worth of cool music that is alternative. I realized from the get-go that this genre has people who like "modern" as well as "old school". So do I - that's why we play it. Since alternative is a vein of rock, it is also has influences from throughout the years. This is a cool thing. Many a "modern rock / alternative" artist has been noted in saying, "Hey, without this band or that band, our band would not exist." And some of these bands go back 20, 30 years or more...

So, based on this, I'd like to pass along another piece of enlightenment... I don't give a shit what "experts" say or think in regards to what songs or groups are important, or should be included or excluded, and so on. Yes, I feel debate is good as long as it's healthy, but I'm not going to program the station based on God-knows-how-many people's opinion. I hate to break it to some of these people - I own the station & you don't. Don't like it? Start your own!

I don't mean that last sentence as an insult. In fact, I mean just the opposite. Heck, that's why I started my own station - I didn't like what I was hearing through certain mediums. By being part of the Internet and satellite radio community, it turns out, there is no right or wrong way to program a radio station, or more specifically, to feature the music you love. There is only "to broadcast" or "not to broadcast". I've received feedback and emails from people telling me what they think of the station - I've been accused of selling out and praised as an innovator. That's like being accused of high-dollar and a slum dog at the same time!

I'd like to leave you with a thought. Maybe you're scanning the stations on your radio right now. Maybe you're doing the same either with satellite or through the Internet. And maybe, you just can't find anything you want to listen to. Instead of getting into a vitriolic rift hidden by the veil of email, why not just "do your own thing". It will take a lot of work, but instead of being a single voice telling someone to piss off, you can be part of a large independent voice that's trying to make this wonderfully cool thing called radio and music, a better place.

Until next time, keep listening!
Peace out,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment