Monday, October 18, 2010

Pixies in Chile, More New Releases... We Think, and Nirvana Goes On Display.

Greetings all -

I read this 1st bit of news this morning & I had to spread the word on it, because I thought it was really cool. My apologies to those who already know this. The Pixies performed what was most likely the longest concert in their history (at least the group said it was) in Santiago, Chile Wednesday night in honor of each of the 33 miners who were rescued from a collapsed mine that same night. Lead vocalist and guitarist Black Francis said in a statement, "We were so moved by this story, by how many lives had been affected by this, and how the Chilean people banded together to support what can only be described as a miracle. We wanted to do something to show how affected we were by this." The Pixies, whom originally formed in Boston back in 1986, ended up playing 35 songs in all, including a two-song encore.

This next bit has been quite the buzz this week on Twitter, that it even caught the attention of the BBC... and that's saying something. According to R.E.M.'s band manager, Bertis Downs, the group has finished work on their 15th studio album and have decided what to call it: Collapse Into Now. A release date of "Spring 2011" was given but no other info was available at this time.

While we're on the subject of new releases, I hope the Beastie Boys decide at some point to stop playing musical chairs... or records. I know Adam Yauch has recovered (or is still recovering) from his bout with cancer, but is well enough to get back in the studio and start doing some mixing. Don't get me wrong - glad to have you back (and around) Adam! However, the group's supposedly next release Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 now has been delayed indefinitely. However, Hot Sauce Committee Part 2, according to a B.B.'s press release will be out on time in spring! Um... OK! I'll leave the holding your breath part up to you...

In the "this should be interesting" department, according to the Seattle Post, t
he Seattle museum Experience Music Project will launch the largest ever exhibit on Nirvana starting April 16th 2011. The show will be called, "Nirvana: Taking Punk to The Masses" will contain over 200 items from the band and families' archives, including Kurt Cobain's lyrics, an old reel-to-reel used to record demos, and rare photos and snapshots of the band.

Lastly, I was glancing through some websites regarding "Rock History" or "Today in Rock History". Most of the time, I find some cool tidbits and what-not. I do not remember this next piece of history, however. It seems back in 1990, "Rocky Horror Picture Show Day", is declared in Los Angeles, marking the 15th Anniversary of the film. Can you imagine what this would've been like? But my big question is, where the hell was I?

Well, I guess you can't remember everything... especially at my age!
Until next time, keep listening!

Peace out,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment