Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Trying Not To Go Nuts In A Restaurant, Soup To Nuts, People Who Are Nuts, & Jello for Dessert!

Here's a stupid statement - I like being vacation! Well, duh... who doesn't? The key is here, is to enjoy what you are doing. Sounds easy enough. But how many times have you seen "folks on vacation" who are still stressed out to the max, arguing, or worse.

And how does this tie in with music? Here we go! You didn't think you'd get off that easy, did you? My wife & I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary yesterday and we have this restaurant where we like to go when we want a quiet meal. It's usually lunch on a weekday. The place is nice, the staff is friendly & it's rather low-key... works for us.

Also, the tunes the restaurant plays are pretty cool. The owner has a yen for some fairly obscure tunes, which also include the occasional rock songs you almost never hear. It's not obnoxious, but refreshing none the less. Being a severe music buff, sometimes I get distracted by a particular song. Yesterday was no exception. The original version of David Bowie and "John, I'm Only Dancing", came on & it took almost all my strength not to totally go nuts with that feedback guitar at the very end! It also got me to thinking how ahead of the curve that tune was. That song came out years before that type of shit was cool.

But anyways, we were just about finished, when another customer, an elderly gentleman whose also a "regular", walked in & he took his usual spot. He also likes doing lunch there, mainly for the same reasons as we do, except he also "likes all the pretty waitresses". While we were wrapping up our meal, and while he was waiting for his, he was humming along to the music. I thought, "Cool... he doesn't know the song, but a good beat & arrangement can transcend the generations." Turns out he's on vacation from Florida.

As my wife & I are walking through the hostess area, in walks another couple (also on vacation), who's already complaining about "the owner of the car with Florida plates who left his car running with the A/C on so his dog could relax in the passenger front seat". They also wanted a seat away from the music, because "it was annoying". I felt sorry for the staff already!

My thoughts were "Relax... who cares" and "If you don't like it, move on". I guess that attitude has spilled over into my station and the music that I feature. Some people who have emailed me have taken this station way more seriously than I ever have. I've replied to them, "you need to relax or chill out more. You are way to serious or overkill."

It also got me to thinking about the more under-lying reasons why I started and why I do what I do... I hope the music and format is enjoyable. Enjoyable enough where it will make someones day better or it will uplift their mood. That, my friends, is priceless. In my humble opinion, there are very few things in this world that can turn someones attitude, mood, or whatever around in less than 5 minutes than a song that that person really likes.

Ever hear of the term, "From soup to nuts"? Well, this next guy is not soup, but he has been called nuts. This week in 1958, Jello Biafra was born in Boulder, Colorado, given name was Eric Boucher. He fronted The Dead Kennedys for a decade and also founded the Alternative Tentacles record label. His later bands included Lard and The Melvins. He became a political activist during a 1979 run for mayor of San Francisco, and has been heavily involved in Green Party politics for the last decade.

Until next time, keep listening!
Peace out,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment