Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Evolving With Life & Other Cheeky Dribble

I posted on the stations Facebook page last Sunday, the 25th, my only day off this week, that I would "hit the blog" on Monday. Well, that didn't happen. I have a sprinkling of free time this morning, so here we go!

As of this writing, the station is, in my humble opinion, doing well. In fact, it has exceeded my expectations. 360 Degrees has been "on the air" so to speak for almost 2 months. We have a whole heap of dedicated listeners and fans... thank you! Our station is part of a web based community that hosts other stations of ever imaginable genre. There are over 20,000 radio stations on the hosting site. There are over 500 "alternative" stations on there as well. Currently, 360 Degrees is in the top 50 of it's genre & in the top 2000 overall... all in less than 2 months.

For those of you who haven't checked the station out yet, I encourage you to do so. Don't let the term "alternative" fool you or keep you away due to stereo-types. This is one reason why I feature four decades of music... to squash those stereo-types.
Alternative
is one of those labels that means totally different things, depending on the context and the people who listen to it. In my opinion, the music was born in the mid 60's, as an answer to not only musicians, but as well to the music industry, that you did not have to be The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or Bob Dylan to be successful. It was OK to embrace "something different". The genre sort of got lost by the turn of 70's, but regrouped & exploded with the D.I.Y. punk ethic of the mid 70s. It continued to morph into sub-genres throughout the 80's, and then has enjoyed another revival of popularity since the mid 90's with the commercial success of Nirvana.

I must admit, I have not blogged as much this month as I did in March. I'm currently working more hours at my regular full time job, and myself & my family are contemplating a move to another location here in Maine. Even thinking about and/or planning a geographical move requires more time than most people realize. I have to face reality - I'm not single, 21 years old & in college anymore, where all my crap could fit into the back of a pickup truck & the move could take a half a day on some weekend.

Sometimes your life evolves so slowly that you don't perceive the scenery changing. All you have to do is pack up your office, or better yet, your apartment or house for a move (or even planning for one) to see how far you've really come. I feel it's the same way with music sometimes. It takes a "major move" to really shake things up. Then, after the dust settles, we can see how far we've really come. And it's usually for the better.

If the move does come to fruition, the station, the blog, email & the website (that will hopefully go live in the next week or two), will be completely unaffected. That's one of the beauties of Internet radio. I'll keep you posted. If anything, one positive thing I'll get out of all this chaos, is some bigger diggs... and that means more space for the station... and that means better things for the listeners & fans!

Peace out,
Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment