Friday, March 12, 2010

What exactly is 360 Degrees of Alternative?

Glad you asked! "Alternative" music is generally thought of as a type or genre of music that became quite popular in the 90's. It is also associated with "grunge" or "modern" rock. However, alternative rock is more than that. It is a form of music that has been around, in one form or another, for over 40 years. Each decade has had it's share of "alternative" rock groups and/or musicians. It's just over the years, we seem to brand that period of music as something else... like garage rock, or punk rock, or new wave or grunge or EMO.

Alternative music is just that... an alternative. It's an alternative to mainstream rock, or classic rock, etc. It's also music that one does not hear on the radio as other types of genre's, which is unfortunate.

I have nothing against "other" types of rock music... in fact, my music library on both my computers have a wide variety of music. However, as I steam towards the half-century mark, I still find "alternative" rock as my favorite type of music. It's something I listened to in high school and shared with my kids who are now grown.

Now, if you've been checking out my on-line radio station, 360 Degrees of Alternative, on Live365.com, you'll notice that the songs & format are indeed that... 360 degrees or the full circle or gamut of alternative music from the 60's to today. From Garage Rock to Grunge, from English Punk to EMO... the station plays it all.

I'll be posting new comments, announcements, rants, raves, whatever... from time to time when I can. I do have a full time job in addition to maintaining the radio station, so I may only be posting stuff once a week. If you have any quetions or comments, by all means feel free to contact me.

The stations email address is alternative_360@yahoo.com.

Peace out,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment